October 21st, 2017
This gist is a fork of the original post from Ray Farias (sgnl).
# Installing Postgres via Brew
[Brew Package Manager](http://brew.sh)
In your command-line run the following commands:
1. `brew doctor`
1. `brew update`
1. In your command-line run the command: `brew install postgres`
2. Run the command: `ln -sfv /usr/local/opt/postgresql/*.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents`
3. Create two new aliases to start and stop your postgres server. They could look something like this:
alias pg_start="launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents"
alias pg_stop="launchctl unload ~/Library/LaunchAgents"
4. Run the alias you just created: `pg_start`. Use this comment to start your database service.
- alternatively, `pg_stop` stops your database service.
5. Run the command: ``createdb `whoami` ``
6. Connect to your postgres with the command: `psql`
7. `brew reinstall readline` - **ONLY IF NEEDED**
8. `createuser -s postgres` - fixes `role "postgres" does not exist`
9. Test with `psql` command
Type "help" for help.
### What is this `ln` command I ran in my Terminal?
_from the `man ln` command_
> The ln utility creates a new directory entry (linked file) which has the same modes as the original file. It is useful for maintaining multiple copies of a
file in many places at once without using up storage for the ``copies''; instead, a link ``points'' to the original copy. There are two types of links; hard
links and symbolic links. How a link ``points'' to a file is one of the differences between a hard and symbolic link.
### What is `launchctl`?
_from the `man launchctl` command_
>launchctl interfaces with launchd to manage and inspect daemons, angents and XPC services.
### Create database
> `createdb mydjangoproject_development`
### List databases
psql -U postgres -l
### Show tables in database
psql -U postgres -d <database_name>
> `psql -U postgres -d mydjangoproject_development`
### Drop database
> `dropdb mydjangoproject_development`
### Restart database
dropdb <database_name> && createdb <database_name>
> `dropdb mydjangoproject_development && createdb mydjangoproject_development`
Last modified February 15th, 2019.